Saturday, April 7, 2012


Why am I starting this blog? I have been studying the Ospreys in the metro area since 1994. I have become more and more passionate about these birds and the research that is being done about them. I love to share my observations and my knowledge about them and love finding kindred spirits who care about them. I am excited about what I am learning regarding their behaviors and realize that I need a forum to share some of it. I am also concerned about their survival, the impact that global climate change and environmental contaminants may have upon their population. They are considered to be an indicator species so their health reveals much to us about the health of our environment.  They are a species that exists on all continents except Antartica.  I also have come to realize, sadly, that there is a great deal of misinformation about them being passed along disguised as “science”.  I hope to create a conversation, share observations, raise concerns, connect with other Osprey researchers and perhaps, occasionally ruffle some feathers. This will not be a place where I post all my data, since I am collecting this data to be used for writing papers that I hope will be published in peer reviewed scientific journals or magazines.  I am very concerned with using solid scientific methods, terminology and criteria in my studies, but I hope that the tone will not be too dry for the average Osprey lover to benefit from reading my blog. I am enthusiastic about what I see when observing Ospreys in the field and they still surprise me! I hope I can prompt some of you to fall in love with these magnificent birds of prey, develop some insight into their behavior and get involved in helping to  study and protect them.

No comments:

Post a Comment