Saturday, August 24, 2013

August 24 updates...

So many funny and interesting things I could tell you all...first let me update you about the situation where one male has two nests and six chicks. He has been very scarce...understandably. I never see him at one nest...but yesterday I found two of his three chicks at the other nest whining desperately for food. The female arrived with a big fish and one chick began devouring it. Then an unbanded male arrived and perched for a while...Hmmmm....but was followed shortly by the banded resident male carrying a large, half eaten fish. He chased the visitor away and disappeared. He finally returned and ate the fish without sharing it with his family. Good to know he is alive!
Today I visited the nest where the young female moved herself and was adopted. She was on the nest, and another juvenile was on one end of the nest perch. A third youngster arrived and tried to land on the nest but the adopted sister chest butted the other chick off the nest. He returned and perched on the other end of the perch. He slowly moved closer and closer to the nest, but when he moved onto the nest, the adopted female rose up and so did he, pushed her off the nest and a chase ensued. She is being quite the bully. He perched nearby and they all food begged and whined. I was there for over 90 minutes...no adults arrived. Just the eruption of these little skirmishes. I believe she was positioning herself for a fish delivery, so she would have the advantage at getting it. She has won the battle for food in the past. Funny part was when I left and drove down another road on the other side of the hill from the nest, I found Mom and Dad, sitting side by side, male eating a big fish!!!! Avoiding the kids.
I can also say that while visiting many nests in the past few days, I have only seen a few females. Many males remain perched high in their territories, watching over their offspring and their kingdom. I also can confirm that only one chick remains unfledged, as of today. I will keep watching her. It's going to be a tough week with record high temps expected with very high humidity. It's a good time to learn to fish!

No comments:

Post a Comment