Thursday, July 17, 2014

Learning to rip and tear, and more losses...

Another nest visited today has lost two chicks, one nest had lost one chick and one had failed. The losses continue. I observed five extra ospreys circling, calling, chasing above one nest. I was amused to watch one little guy on his nest alone, trying to figure out how to rip and tear a fish on his own. He was barely five weeks old and did not really have strong enough feet to hold the fish as he tried to take a bite...so every time he pulled up the whole piece of fish came up. He kept toddling around the nest carrying this fish piece in his beak, like if he found the right spot on the nest, this would be easier. It was charming, but why was he alone? His Dad was in a tree, tho he eventually took off to chase a turkey vulture who got too close to the nest. I did notice a lot of flies at this nest and a chick was missing here...so there may have been a dead chick up there. The female arrived with a fish and fed the chick and then left again. I searched for the adults and could not spot them anywhere. I will recheck this nest this weekend. I am more puzzled this year than usual. I am finding a lot of chicks alone, a lot of females fishing...perhaps fishing is harder due to high water and males are being less successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment