Thursday, August 21, 2014

Late August...

I am sorry for the long gap...been very busy with nest checks and pottery. Believe it or not we still have chicks that have not fledged, tho they will soon! I am still searching for missing youngsters. It's been fun searching for the birds...since they are no longer sitting on the nest all the time, it's a challenge to locate them sometimes. While I am out and about I stumble upon other interesting things...ospreys dropping sticks in new places, ospreys whose nests failed long ago are suddenly seen back on the nest, moving some sticks...probably making some final visits to the home territory before beginning their migration. Different ospreys have been seen on abandoned nests.  It's really quite an active time, tho many nests are also empty much of the time as the family spends time at places other than the home base. Interesting to see which females are still around. 
I received new photos today of the little runt in Montana that we learned about in earlier posts. She (I think) is actually looking better now! Feathers filling in and I am hopeful that she may fledge successfully. She is self feeding now, which is a positive developmental stage that indicates that she is approaching fledging age.
 I try to take the time to savor my time in the field with the birds...it will be over soon. Listening to the whining food begging of the chicks, scanning the trees for a hidden osprey, watching ospreys circling above, or chasing eagles...taking in the sights and sounds of late summer.  I know some people tire of checking nests this time of year, but I am energized by these visits...wishing I had more time to devote to the birds and the research. But I also have to turn my attention to my other work...

No comments:

Post a Comment