Thursday, August 20, 2015

Spectacular day in the field...

What a spectacular day it was here in Minnesota...upper 60's, sunny, breezy, low humidity, popcorn clouds. Perfect! What a pleasure to be out there checkin on some nests I had not been to in a while. On many nests I found no females and males were scarce also. I was surprised at how many chicks I did see, tho some were missing, some nests empty. I spent quite a bit of time at a nest that had only one chick, but she is a beauty! Somehow she was captivating to me today. She was flying loops, dipsy doodle, landing in trees, returning to the nest to food beg. Her crop was very full, displaying her large dark spots symmetrically spaced across her breast, but I did not see her Dad feed her. Another male tried to land several times, hovering above the nest, but each time she acted defensively  and he finally flew off. Then another male, which might have been Dad, became involved with a redtail that was acting very aggressively, divebombing, footing and driving this adult osprey down to the ground. This is fairly uncommon as they usually ignore each other. Eventually they all disappeared, including the young osprey. I also hiked into one of the nests that was completely blown out, killing three chicks, during the big storm on July 18. I was surprised at the amount of damage done in that area. Their favorite big, old perching tree was down. This opens up the area, which may be good. The nestpole itself was twisted and leaning, but the Ospreys are rebuilding the nest. I was able to find both adults, and read the males band. I am relieved to know that they both survived and will be able to try again next year. I was surprised, with so many females gone who still have chicks near their nests, to find this female still here, working on the nest with her mate. Something both sad and touching about that. I also visited one of my favorite nests. They have a devoted Dad and this nest is always successful. I had not seen all three chicks for a while, but today when I arrived, all three were lined up on the nest waiting for Pop to bring dinner. A special treat for me in these waning days of Osprey season. They, also, struck me as really beautiful Ospreys. Maybe it was the lovely light today, the late afternoon, axial rays of golden sun, showing off their increasingly golden eyes. The cooler temps and low dew points made the sun feel good on my face. You really just have to stop and take it all in deeply. What magnificent birds, and how lucky I am to know their stories, their histories, their struggles and their triumphs, year after year. These three juveniles waited so quietly and respectfully...until they saw Dad coming with a fish and the hollering began with gusto! I had to laugh. Who will win? Ah the largest female with the fullest crop dove for the fish and got it. The little male grabbed for it, but only got Dads foot, and wouldn't let go for a minute. Dad waited and then flew off as fast as he could...gotta go get more! The winning chick took the fish and flew off behind some trees to eat in peace. This is exactly why I see so few males these days!
I have also been enjoying watching the young ones develop their skills...even just perching near the water and watching the fish below is part of learning how food looks when it is not delivered to them on the nest! So fun to watch them splashing into the water, not to catch a fish but to learn how to dive and how to get those great water starts! So much to learn in such a short time. Their days of playing and depending on Dad for food are coming to an end. How I will miss these friends in a few weeks. It was a day to savor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment