Thursday, May 12, 2016

Incubating!

The Arboretum cam nest Ospreys have laid their first egg! Finally! Both adults are sharing incubation duties. They commonly lay 2-3 eggs, tho we have seen four. It remains to be seen if this pair will lay more eggs since they are getting a late start. Eggs are usually laid about 2-3 days apart tho there is some variety in that timing from pair to pair.
This is not the latest egg laying we have seen, so if all goes well they will have time to raise the chicks and get them fledged and ready for migration by late September. 
(UPDATE: On May 14 at about 7:19 a second egg was laid in the Arboretum can nest. For some reason I cannot seem to transfer my photos from the iPad  to this blog...but you can find more images and info on our Face book page.) 
Sorry its it's been a while since my last post....I was on another planet last week, seeing Sir Paul twice. Beatlemania had a strangle hold on me. What an experience! But I have been checking nests and am still plugging away at band reading. We have discovered seven new nests already, so the population is booming. Hoping people will keep us posted about new nests!

No comments:

Post a Comment