Thursday, August 25, 2016

Not quite yet...

Today I went to check on some of those chicks that had not been confirmed as fledging successfully. The first nest I visited hatched two chicks,  and one of them had fledged quite a while ago...I had seen her flying and returning to the nest several times. But the second chick was always in the nest! There did not appear to be anything wrong, but I just never saw her fly, or found her perched elsewhere. I watched for almost an hour and all she did was preen and food beg. The rest of the family were coming and going. They all disappeared eventually leaving this chick home alone. I decided to go check a few other nests and come back. When I got back an hour later she had not moved...still standing in the nest preening. I finally said out loud, out of total frustration and worry..." Will you please fly so I know you are OK!" That's all it took! She immediately stretched her wings, flew off the nest, circled around the nest in a large loop and returned to the nest and landed perfectly! Ha ha! I am not kidding! What an obedient osprey! All is well...she is just a homebody.
(I have one more nest where I see one chick always in the nest, long after its sibling has fledged. I believe she can fly, but I need to see it. One of my volunteers or I will confirm this ones status soon! )
Then I headed off to the other nest I had been watching where the single chick has not fledged. This one was still in the nest alone. The adult female was perched nearby. I watched for over an hour here as well . The chick did some flapping and hopping and is getting a little loft....flew from one side of the nest to the other, but is still primarily standing there watching the world go by. I can tell that this one is not quite physiologically ready to fly. It will be soon, but she is still pretty calm, not flapping with the focus, energy and enthusiasm that a chick that is about to fly does. It can almost seem frantic sometimes as they flap, flap, flap. It's late. She will get there. I will try to get back there this weekend. This will be the final chick to go here, I think. And she still has a lot of learning ahead post fledge! I did not see the male here today, but the female stayed close by, watching over the youngster. Hope the adults will stay around for another month so this chick will be cared for as she develops all those skills she needs to migrate successfully. You know I will be watching! Ospreys look especially lovely with red and gold leaves behind them!

No comments:

Post a Comment