Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Lost chicks at the Arb....

After last nights rain, the Arboretum Cam has cleared a bit, revealing one chick. I ran out here and am watching in person and we appear to have lost one chick. The nest is behind a locked gate so I cannot drive closer, and I hesitate to walk in and disturb the family since I do not want to scare the remaining chick into pre fledging. I sadly also discovered that another chick on another nest nearby is also gone. I have contacted some people at the Arb to see if there is any more info, if a body was found beneath the other nest. I was last out here in person on July 5. I am watching too many nests to be able to visit more often, sadly, and the person I was counting on to monitor nests in this area just disappeared without telling me that she would not be able to fulfill her commitment to visit some of these nests. I am so dismayed this year by this kind of behavior. All I ask of the volunteer monitors is that they tell me if they will not be able to honor their commitment. I understand that things happen, people's lives change, people go on vacation etc....my only request was, just let me know so I can plug in someone else or check nests myself. To simply disappear, leaves me to figure it out slowly and data is lost. It is so irresponsible. But that is what I am up against.
Anyway, that is the sad current update. If great horned owl predation was the cause of these losses, we may lose this chick also. It has been a problem in the past at the Arboretum.
I have done the best I can this year, but it is not good enough. Without more reliable help, I cannot get all the data we wanted to. I wish I were able to do more. Without cooperation from more people and organizations, my hands are rather tied. I work 7 days a week...there is no more of me to spread around.

No comments:

Post a Comment