Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Quick update...

Just a quickie....checked on the single male and his family today....did not find either of the juveniles, but dear Mr Mom was perched very high, watching over his territory, constantly looking around. Have the chicks departed? Just out and about exploring today? Don't know, but I am still touched to see him there watching, in case they need some food. Sigh. I check them as often as I can because, as you know, this family has captured my heart.
I also searched again for the chick I released after several weeks of rehab and could not find him. This is discouraging.
I also met yesterday with a gentleman from a company who had a pair of Ospreys build a nest on their property in an problematic place. They want to remove the nest but build a nestpole for them elsewhere on their property. We are working with them to make this happen. I have donated a nestbox and have been busy sending emails to try to find someone to set a tall pole for us. Some of my contacts have been helpful... Hopefully we can make this happen. Doing what we can to help the birds!
It is getting to be quiet out there in ospreyland. Finding a single bird here and there....a few loud juveniles still packing on the pounds before they begin their big adventure. Although I am tired from so much hard work all summer, I hate to see this time of year come. I still feel like there are loose ends, questions unanswered, data I didn't get. But this time of year I just have to accept some of those holes. Just feeling like I still have to find some Ospreys to hang out with! Their days are numbered now.....but it's been an interesting year. We have learned, seen new things, weathered some trying times with people, politics and the birds themselves. I savor the sights and sounds of our beautiful winged friends as I see the subtle change of color surrounding the nests, leaves beginning to turn yellow, prairie grasses turning also, the sound of dry leaves rustling in the wind. How did we get here so fast?

No comments:

Post a Comment