Thursday, August 2, 2018

flying at the Arb!

Since our current view of the Arboretum Osprey Cam nest is obscured by osprey body waste, ahem, I have been visiting in person to see how the family is doing. Yesterday I found all three chicks still in the nest, which surprised me a bit since they are now two months old. But today I found two in the nest and one perched nearby on a power pole across the field from the nest. I was hoping to see him fly, but when Dad delivered a fish to the rest of the family, it was not enough of a motivating factor for him to return to the nest. He seemed to be enjoying his space! He had one foot tucked up and his eyes closed lazily, as he basked in the late afternoon sun. I stayed and watched them for quite a while, but he was making me sleepy watching him, so I left him there and will check again soon. I am sure the others will follow him within a few days!
I enjoyed watching several newly fledged chicks today. On one nest I found a young male out on the very end of the nest perch. I wondered if he walked out there or flew out there. His siblings remained in the nest with Mom. After a while Mom came out and perched next to him, and he began to act a bit nervous. He kept looking at the nest, looking around, he got closer to mom as if he was suggesting that she move. She was oblivious. He put his wings out, and then decided, no. He turned around several times, looking at his nest mates lounging. Watching him began to make me nervous....what was he going to do? Finally he took the leap and flew several loops before he landed safely back in the nest! Whew! I’ll drink to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment