Thursday, June 17, 2021

Counting heads!

 This is my favorite part of the breeding season....when I am visiting nests to count the little guys. I usually start this when they are about two weeks old. This is when they start to get up and crawl  around the nest and we can finally see them with a spotting scope. Still little tho! It takes some patience, cause if it’s siesta time, they can’t be seen at all. ( Tho the little poop squirts coming out of nowhere are pretty cute too!) Suddenly, the number of nests I can visit in a day drops precipitously. I literally can’t tear myself away! I pretend it’s because I want to be sure I am getting an accurate count.....but it’s really because they are so much fun to watch!!! I have few worries about them at this time, unlike when they are approaching fledging and all kinds of mishaps can occur. And at this stage, Momma can still brood them, shade them, protect them from predation. It’s when their awareness starts to expand beyond Mom, Dad and food....and they start crawling to the edge of the nest to look at the world around them, they start to watch other birds flying by, planes flying over. And, the cutest, is when they start moving little sticks! I saw that today for the first time. You all can officially worry about my sanity.....as I am often sitting in a parking lot, a park, or some public place....quietly watching and trying not to call attention to myself....and I suddenly yell out “THREE”! 

I know you osprey monitors know what’s that about! Or as I watch I suddenly burst out laughing and say “moving sticks!”.  I talk to myself too much. 

There is a stage at about two weeks when they can get into squabbles with their siblings and some pecking back and forth can occur. It usually is a stage that passes and pecking order is established with no harm. Sometimes it’s more serious, and siblicide can happen. I think it’s pretty unusual, especially here in Minnesota, land of 10,000 lakes, where fish are abundant. In my 28 years of watching ospreys I can only recall seeing a very aggressive attack between chicks once,  that I believe resulted in death for one chick. 

But for the most part this stage of monitoring is the most delightful, enchanting phase...and it fills the heart with warm fuzzies. And if it happens to be nice weather too....it’s really hard to leave. This is the reward for the long, boring incubation period. I can easily spend hours at a nest now. And this stage passes so quickly....it won’t be long before they are preparing to fledge and I have to hold my breath as they jump and flap....or I search endlessly for them post fledge. But that’s another story...

Now I indulge in long visits, watching the subtle behaviors, waiting for another head to pop up (cause Mom keeps looking in that direction) or waiting for Pop to come with a fish....and watching as some males either feed Mom or feed the chicks or both! So precious, these wee ones are! Enjoy each moment with them! 


No comments:

Post a Comment