Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Devoted Dad…

 I stopped yesterday at a nest that had two of the latest fledges in the metro….a nestmonitor reported no adults, just chicks. As I stated in the previous post, those Dads dont abandon their young, so I went looking for him. I found one chick perched with a fish….eating quietly…..no other ospreys seen. I had an appointment to keep and then circled back to this nest. Chick was still in the same place with half a fish in its talons as it also food begged for more ( that hyperphagia thing!). When a chick is food begging, in fact whining desperately for food, you know that Dad is around! Sure enough I finally spotted him in a tree, watching over this apoplectic chick who needed ten fish ASAP! Ha ha. Those Dads are so amazing, tho he may not be seen all the time near the nest, as this particularly attentive male was earlier in the season….he is still there caring for this remaining chick.

No comments:

Post a Comment