Friday, April 7, 2023

Happy Easter, Happy Spring! Osprey season has begun!

 Osprey season has officially begun! Our trusty, long time volunteer nest monitor Barb reported her first sightings today. She even got up out of her sick bed to visit some nests! What would I do without people like that!?!? SO committed!

I visited some nests too, but all were still empty. I will head in a different direction tomorrow. I predicted that today would be the day, with the winds finally turning around to a southerly direction, and I suspect we will find a LOT of ospreys sailing in over the weekend….all at once! They wont be trickling in this year. They have probably been bottled up south of here, waiting for those north winds to cease so they could come home. I am still waiting to hear from some regular nest monitors, and we still have nests with no monitor….if you have a scope and some birding experience, and are willing to commit to checking a nest weekly for regular data collection on this long term research study…send me an email, osprey.mn@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment