Sunday, July 16, 2023

Single female…

 I went back to the nest with the single female today to see what was going on with that new male. I found the female and her two chicks just hanging out quietly…..I watched for about 45 minutes and during that time she occasionally started food begging and moved closer to her chicks. Finally the unbanded male arrived with a fish and she went over to him and took the fish from him….and he willingly let her have it. Then she turned and snapped at him! He just stood there so she lunged at him…SCRAM! Wow. This is so interesting….she didnt quite trust him, so she did move closer to her chicks in a protective posture. But he clearly was delivering a fish to her. And yet she didnt want him there. So she is not accepting him as a potential mate, but will take his fish. Hmmmmm. And because I am always so interested in behaviors, I now want to stay all day and see if she is leaving to get fish sometimes, or is she depending on him fully for food. This was the second fish delivery I have seen. Its fascinating! Will behaviors change over time? Will he get tired of providing for a family that is not his. Will she begin to accept him? I am still curious after 30 years of watching ospreys.

But jeeeez I have so many other nests to check, bands to try to read, and the fledging window has opened so we are watching for those first flights. AND I still have nests where chicks are so small, I dont have a full count of the chicks yet!
I was happy to see that MS at the Arb delivered breakfast right on schedule at 5:30 a.m. this morning! No slacking allowed buddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment