Sunday, July 21, 2019

Fledging!

Just a quickie tonight....our first chicks have successfully fledged! Fun to watch them today doing their loops, perching in different places as Mom stayed near the nest watching over them. It’s very exciting! But it’s also a vulnerable time.....now the door is open to them getting into all kinds of new trouble. I am always prepared with boxes, towels, in my car. Hope I don’t have to do any rescues this year. I also enjoyed watching some chicks practice the fine art of self feeding. One chick had a fish and kept switching which foot he would hold it in, and in the process he kept turning in circles. “Am I left footed? Am I right footed? How do I know? Nothing feels right!”
We are also dealing with a lot of sad struggles on some nests, but I will save those stories. Tonight, let’s celebrate these first flights and behavioral milestones which are so fun to observe!

No comments:

Post a Comment