Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Update on yesterday’s update!

Update on yesterday’s post....this morning I went back to the nest where the chick was missing, and he was still not in the nest. The female was still seen flying around carrying a fish. I drove every little road, looking and listening. I could not find the chick, or hear any of the typical juvenile vocalizations. I felt kind of nauseous. So I sadly went to try to read that band on the new nest I found last week. Last year at this time, I had seen a banded male hanging out on a cell tower 1.5 miles away from where I found this new nest, so I suspected it would be him. I spent 7 hours there last Saturday and could not get his band. Yes, SEVEN hours. Today he finally came and perched in a place where I could actually see his legs! It still was a long ways away and required hiking and jockeying around to different sides to confirm the band. But it was that male, as my instincts told me. Then as I sat in the car I thought, I just have to go back and look for that missing chick one more time. A fairly long drive, but when I got there I found the chick FINALLY back in the nest eating a fish with gusto! Hungry chick! And Mom was finally perched calmly nearby.....finally relaxed. A huge Whew! Of course it doesn’t always turn out this way, but it sure is a good feeling when it does. So, tonight there is no one to worry about....we will see what tomorrow brings!
Photo below is just a magnificent look at the wingspan of those young ospreys, for your viewing pleasure....taken by Ann Merritt

No comments:

Post a Comment