Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Rescue...





 This is the time of year that shit happens. We have a few adults that seem to be missing from nests.....and a few chicks that have disappeared. It’s always hard to figure out what exactly  has happened but it often comes down to Great Horned Owls. So it’s very important to watch nests closely and be sure to count the chicks carefully and try to locate both adults. That’s not always easy because the males are pretty busy fishing. Today I went to check nests in one of our far western counties. At least one nest has failed that had two chicks previously. I found the male but could not locate the female. Then I was watching another nest where I saw no female, but there was a male and he did bring a partially eaten fish to the two chicks. He did not feed them, but dropped the fish and the chicks were very aggressive about fighting for that fish.....one of them tried to push the other chick off the nest. That tells me they may not be getting enough food, but they are able to self feed when fish are delivered. I watched and waited for the female. I finally decided to go check some other nests and then return. When I returned I saw a male perched near the nest....and another Osprey circling. The male took off after the visitor to defend the nest and the chicks. As I got closer to the nest I saw a car and a woman taking photos of the flying ospreys. When she saw me she said....” are you my help?” . Huh? She explained that there was an osprey on the ground tangled in something. What are the chances that Twin Cities Metro Osprey Watch would show up right then? I put on my wellies, got my gloves,  the police arrived  also and we went out to get the Osprey. Turns out it was not tangled in anything, but it couldnt fly. So I picked it up, put it in the box that  I always have in my car and drove it to The Raptor Center. We will see what it’s injuries are and hope for the best. I am still trying to figure out what the dynamics are at that nest tho.....this injured bird seemed too small, thin, light, to be a female. Could this have been a visitor who got attacked? Perhaps. I will return to this nest soon to observe behaviors and see what is happening. It appears that there is one parent defending the chicks and the territory and a single parent can care for chicks. It’s not easy but it can be done successfully. The women who originally spotted the injured osprey, Lise will recheck the nest to see if the chicks are being fed. Hopefully we will have a good outcome for all and I will be able to figure it all out. Thanks to Lise for caring and leading me to the injured bird. There are other stories to tell also....so much going on this time of year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment