Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Spectacular day…

 Some days….I tell ya. Some spectacular days like today, low humidity, very comfortable temps in the mid 70s, a nice breeze make me feel so damn lucky to be out there checking osprey nests. In spite of all I have been thru recently, I still do feel so fortunate to be alive, and to be experiencing my unusual life, spending my time immersed in the intimacies of Osprey behavior. How many people get to experience what I do? Not many. I am so grateful for those long term volunteer monitors who do share this wild and rare adventure with all its ups and downs. The sky today was stunning, the weather perfect, the Osprey chicks visible, male ospreys perched a ways from some nests, watching over their families quietly. Every corner I went around had more and more lovely views, I watched Harriers hunting in a field, trumpeter swans and their cygnets strolling towards a lake, a heron rookery, and osprey chicks looking out at their world, with Moms shading them. Some extra ospreys making a little trouble for another family. Thats osprey life. I think a lot about why this experience has held so much meaning for me for so many years, why I can’t ever walk away. God knows, sometimes it’s very stressful. But days like today are so deeply meditative. When I can fully inhabit my body and quiet my mind, fully aware of just this moment. I treasure this…and I feel sad for people who have walked away. I find these rare and satisfying moments fill my soul. I love these birds, I love being able to develop some insight into how they experience life….in the moment. They don’t think about the past or the future. They accept what happens as it happens. They persevere, no matter what. There is a lot to learn about life from them, my friends.




No comments:

Post a Comment