Friday, July 24, 2026

An important fledge!

 So much has happened this week….I think I will start with today tho…..SO much fledging going on. I went to check on the single mom and her chick yesterday. It’s a female chick and she has been laying low a lot , but yesterday while I was talking to someone she got up and hovered above the nest!!!! Mom came flying back to the nest and the chick settled down. So I headed straight over there this morning and yes our little darling fledged…..flying some beautiful loops, solid landings, always returning to the nest. Mom was perched outside the nest to give her plenty of room for takes offs and landings. So once again this amazing female has pulled off fledging a chick all alone. The sad part is that that magnificent male that I watched bring a huge fish, and hang out on the nest the entire time mom was feeding the chick….has not returned. I have been there several times and so has the monitor, Vicky, and we have not seen him. I will keep hoping for her to attract a great mate who will take good care of her in the future. Maybe that gentleman has his foot in the door….

Meanwhile, this chick has made it to an important milestone and I am gonna celebrate tonight!




No comments:

Post a Comment