Sunday, April 21, 2013

April 21, 2013

Another long day checking osprey nests. I covered 145 miles and 12 nests. Nine had at least one bird...most had two and one had four of them flying and fighting for the territory. A few were still empty. I saw quite a few skirmishes with bald eagles. Did you know that ospreys have a very specific and unique alarm call for "bald eagle". Not like their all purpose alarm call. I heard it quite a few times today. I found a goose had taken over an eagle nest too...glad they are not just picking on the ospreys. Such a sight!
I also found an osprey that seems to have some sort of eye injury. He would not open one eye. It is troubling but he is flying well so can't be caught easily. I wonder how he manages to fish. I will keep checking on him. I am hoping it's something minor that will heal. Lots of copulating going on out there. Last year at this time, and most years at this time, we have had ospreys sitting on eggs. I have found none yet. I read 5.5 bands today...we have some new birds showing up. I also saw a number of what we call "floaters"...a single bird perched somewhere that is not near a nest. So that's the news for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment