Friday, May 16, 2014

Friday, May 16

I can now say I have visited all known nests and read bands at most of them. There are a few birds that are testing my patience by keeping their legs hidden. They will not escape my prying eyes for long. I am happy that the two nests where males disappeared / died mid season last year have new banded males on them.  I have been trying to read a band on one male who apparently LOVES to incubate. He sits for long periods, with the female perched nearby. I waited and waited and waited the other day...and when he finally got up and flew away, he came back in less than a minute with a stick, and pushed the female out of the way so he could sit down again. So interesting. They are all unique. It won't be long before hatching begins on some of the early nests!
All you birders in the metro area, remember to keep watching for new nests and let me know about them so the research can be as complete as possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment