Friday, June 10, 2016

Too many chicks!

Well, well, well. It's now been nearly a week since I visited the location of the polygynous male and his two families. ( it took me a while to get the last post written). The update today is interesting. I can now count the chicks on both nests and they each have THREE chicks!!!!!!  I am sitting here now observing  the male on the primary nest, as he is watching the female feed a goldfish to the three chicks. This is where he prefers to hang out. I have watched him try very hard to steal the large fish away from the female three times. She would not let go. I wonder if he wanted to take it to the other nest or eat it himself. His crop is empty. This guy certainly has his work cut out for him! But he has done this successfully before, so if anyone can do it, he can. I know that someone has coined the phrase "Super Osprey", and if anyone deserves that title, it is his guy!  Now the male has departed the primary nest and the female on the secondary nest is food begging loudly. Her crop is empty. The temperature is expected to hit the mid nineties today with extreme, oppressive humidity. I hope these birds all are able to stay hydrated. It is 9:30 in the morning and it is miserable out here. Storms are expected tonight. Keep your fingers crossed for these two families. Its  hard to tear myself away....interesting behaviors captivate me, even after all these years. I am so curious about what will happen next...and I want to see it all!  Now the secondary female is quiet, so the male must be out of sight. Will he return with a fish for this female and her chicks? Nope. He just returned to the primary nest with a stick. Off he goes again. I am parked between the two nests with my scope mounted on the window so I can see and hear what goes on at  both nests. The sun is sizzling hot. I am longing for an iced coffee, but can't leave or I might miss something!!!!! He's back again on the primary nest with more nest material. This nest definitely gets more attention and care. He has just returned with the third stick...he seems to be chick proofing the nest, building up the sides. Now he is perched outside the primary nest, but very near this family. I am watching the other family....the littlest chick there is still light colored and completely downy...about a week of age, while the older two are larger and darker as they lose their down and begin growing feathers. These chicks are now pecking at each other, which is a common behavior that is usually observed at about two weeks of age. They are literally establishing the pecking order. Parents don't intervene. I have seen this so often and it usually does not result in injury or death, but in an unusual situation such as this, where survival may be at stake, it could potentially be more serious. Lack of sufficient food and fluid is a definite concern here, especially as I watch the male perching near the other nest, ignoring this females calls for food. I can see no crusty salt residue on her nares tho so I know she has eaten today, is hydrated and there is no crisis. The chicks are pooping...love those little squirts coming out of the nest, so we know they have eaten today. We watch for the subtle signs, keep our own emotions in check and document carefully. This is how we learn. I have been here for about three hours and have not seen the secondary nest be fed. The male has just shown up with a large goldfish and is on a power pole eating...near the primary nest. Well, not surprisingly, he took the rest of the fish to the primary nest. Frustrating to watch, for sure. The  last time this male  produced six chicks I predicted that they would not all survive, but they all made it to fledging age! The Ospreys love to prove me wrong! So I can only hope for a similarly amazing outcome here. Time will tell! This weather complicates things. The police just came to check out the reported "suspicious"activity. Ha ha. I can take no more of the heat.....I am soaked in sweat. Holding a good thought for these  birds. Family on the primary nest have finished their lunch and male has departed at 1 p.m. 89 degrees. Unbearable humidity.

No comments:

Post a Comment