Friday, June 24, 2016

Update on the male with two families....

Just a quick update from the field. I have revisited the two nests that belong to our polygynous male. I held my breath as I drove up and got positioned between the two nests so I could view both. I set the scope on one nest and waited patiently. Female was up but chicks were all snoozing. I waited patiently. Two heads up....what happened to number three? Did we lose one? Wouldn't be surprising in this kind of a situation. Then I focused on the other nest...quickly counted the chicks. 1,2, 3! Then all voices rose in a cacophony of food begging...here comes the male. Where will he go? Straight to his primary nest with a goldfish. Off he went as the other nest continued the insistent food begging. The female on the primary nest began feeding the three cutie patooties (a scientific term). In less than ten minutes he arrived at the secondary nest with another fish, and THREE chicks stood up! Yeah! All six chicks have survived this far and our busy male is keeping up with the demands of having two families! What do ya say about that? Wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment