Saturday, September 17, 2016

September 17!

I headed east to Wisconsin for one of my favorite pottery fairs today and when I drove over the bridge that spans the St Croix, an Osprey flew right over my car with a fish, and shortly after that another Osprey followed. By the time I pulled over I could not spot them. They are still around! So after visiting some potter friends, I checked several nests, including the one with the second to last chick to fledge. Yes yes, there was that beautiful female chick, hollering for food and dear old Dad delivered. Yeah! On to another nest nearby....same thing...a female chick on the nest and the male delivered a fish. I visited several more nests with no Ospreys seen or heard. Another nest had a single juvenile perched quietly on the nest....no adult seen. And the final nest I visited had a young female food begging...she soon had her request granted when the male arrived with a fish! She took it to her favorite tree to eat. So there ya go....four nests that had juveniles still present, at three of them I saw the male deliver a fish! I had good timing on this beautiful fall day... Golden sunlight broke out in the afternoon, with the perfect temps, low 70s, dry air, nice breeze, leaves beginning to turn. Nine Ospreys seen! Pretty good for September 17!!! ! I think I am the only one checking nests at this time....most volunteers have moved on to other activities, but I treasure these fall days with those beauties! Every Osprey I see at this time of year is a big fat cherry on top of this breeding season.

No comments:

Post a Comment