Monday, September 12, 2016

Sergej....

I am so profoundly sad to learn that a man who mentored and inspired me in this osprey research died this past spring. Sergej Postupalsky was a deep source of information and encouragement to me for so many years. It's hard to find words to express his kindness, his real love for these birds, and his generous sharing of his 50 years of knowledge about the ospreys. I have a huge file of emails from him as well as all his published papers and I refer to them often. I had recently sent him a latter with my annual report and recieved an email from his daughter today. Oh how I wish I could have one more conversation with him. I met him when I traveled to Michigan to assist with their osprey reintroduction and Sergej and I got in a boat together to row to some of the tripod nests in the water to band and collect osprey chicks for translocation. I felt an instant sense of kinship with him. We remained friends, sharing annual reports and conversations about the Ospreys over the years. He was the one I always turned to when I was excited to share some behavioral observations.  I will never forget the day that I thanked him for teaching me so much, and he replied "who is teaching who?" He never failed to support and encourage me. He is the one who encouraged me to publish my observations about extra pair copulation. What will I do without him? A gentle soul, a head full of knowledge, and a genuine passion for these birds. Oh how I will miss him.

http://www.houghtonlakeresorter.com/news/2010-07-22/Outdoors/Sergej_and_the_Osprey.html#

No comments:

Post a Comment