Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Another cold gray day...

Another interesting day with the ospreys! It was yet another gray, chilly, blustery day here in Minnesota....just the kind of day I like!!!! Unfortunately it started with needing to buy new tires. All the driving I do wears them out quickly. Then I visited a nest that I have been to so many times this year and I have not been able to get the males band read. This nest has had a banded pair for years and the female has been very accommodating, over and over, revealing her bands.....but the male is always incubating or gone! I have checked and rechecked all his favorite perches, used in the past. This has made me wonder if it could be a new male. But they were one of the very first nests to lay eggs, so that often indicates an old experienced  pair that got down to business quickly, as they know that the sooner they lay eggs, the greater chance their offspring have of being ready to survive migration. Hmmmm. I searched again, but could not find him, so I started to drive away and as I went down the road, around the bend, behind some tall trees, I glanced up and saw an Osprey perched very high in a very tall tree. I pulled over and put up the scope.....ahhhh there he was! A new perch for this male this year! I have probably driven under him many times. Trickster. Today he said, hey Vanessa, pay attention! It made me laugh. 
I drove past a few other nests to be sure they were still incubating, and came upon a pair incubating side by side. Always such a touching sight, one that I don’t see very often, but this kind of teamwork always warms my heart . (Forgive the crappy photo, taken with my iPad thru the scope.) 
Then I proceeded to another nest where I have been getting skunked on bands. This nest has a new male. I know this because the male who was here last year is now nesting on a new nest across the lake. (This is probably a response to the nest failing last year.) I have spent many hours, many repeat visits, and have only gotten a glimpse of one digit on his band. He, too, is either incubating or gone and I cannot find his favorite perch. I watched as he sat in the nest while the female preened on the nest edge. She finally moved closer and began food begging quietly, and he jumped up and flew away. Damn. I never get a good view of his bands. He headed towards the lake, so I followed. Unfortunately, it takes me longer since I have to zoom along these winding roads! I got down to a boat launch to find about five people fishing. I opened my window and grabbed my binoculars to search the lake.....jackpot! TWO ospreys fishing! I suspected I knew who both of these males were, but which one is the one I am trying to identify?  It was SO windy, and the water so choppy and gray. None of these fishermen even looked up at these two magnificent birds flying above. My instincts picked one Osprey to watch...and he hovered, dropped into the lake but came up empty. He circled around and tried again in the same spot...bingo! He came up with a fish! So fast, so easy, in spite of the choppy water and strong gusty winds. These birds are so amazing! He circled back towards the shore and dipped low behind some trees. I assumed he might perch there out of the wind to eat the head before he went to the nest, so I drove around looking for him. Could not find him, so I headed back to the nest....and he beat me there! He was making the hand off of the fish to the female and she went to her perch to eat. He once again took over the incubation duties. It’s such a treat to see them hunting, and to see a successful dive.....but I still didnt get his band read!  As the winds picked up even more and the temperature dropped, a few spits of rain were beginning. Another day in the field comes to an end. It’s a good day when you get a few more bands read, see an Osprey incubating next to its mate, and witness a  successful fishing attempt! 

No comments:

Post a Comment