Friday, May 3, 2019

the Arb cam

The Arboretum Osprey cam is finally on..... http://www.arboretum.umn.edu/ospreycam.aspx
I was there three times during the day on Friday, April 26 and saw only the female, but now that the cam is on I see she is incubating, and the male is the same as last year, Z3, who is now 7 years old. The female is unbanded and is probably the same one as last year. As of today, May 3, we have three eggs.  I also took a photo of the cam and nest, so you can see why there are so many problems with feces covering the cam lens and obscuring the view. The nest is being built up more and more every year bringing the chicks cute little butts closer and closer to the cam. The cam was never positioned well to avoid these problems and it is right in the line of fire, so to speak. I have expressed my concerns and suggestions but in spite of getting a new cam, the positioning was not changed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment