Friday, September 18, 2026

Not all gone yet!

 They aren’t all gone yet! Sometimes a miserable day like this is a good time to look for them…..cold, rainy, gray. I stopped on my way to the pottery studio to check one of my favorite nests….and there she was, the girl chick. In the rain, on the nest…..waiting.

A few hours later I came back and she was on a lightpole eating a large fish nd food begging at the same time. Funny. Then I looked around and saw the Dad on another light, also eating a fish! Together! Sweet! Then a crow came to join Dad, in case he wanted to share that fish I guess. The male was surprisingly unconcerned about the crow….no alarm call, no flapping or lunging at him. They looked like friends!
This is the nest where I watched a lingering chick for a long time last year. That is interesting to me….its obviously a different chick, hatched at a different time and yet, there they are….so maybe the signal about when to leave is coming from the male…if he is content to feed a chick for a long time, perhaps that sends a signal. Don’t know.
Then I stopped at another nest down the road….and found one chick, looking miserable in the rain. Waiting patiently….so Dad must be around!
Hard to get decent photos in this light with the steady rain….me and my scope got soaked. But it was worth it to see some of my friends. I checked six other nests yesterday and found zero ospreys. They could be around, just not at the nest. A rainy day is often a time they may return home to get some food.
I will check a few more nests tomorrow….






No comments:

Post a Comment