Thursday, September 10, 2026

Still here….

 I was inundated by all the “Birdcast” migration alerts for last night….they predicted a massive wave and many osprey people thought for sure our friends would be gone today. My instincts were sending me a different message….but you never know. So I went out to check some nests before another committment I had today. Our little orphan Annie was in a tree with a full-ish crop, perched so close to me it was hard to focus the scope that close!!!! I didnt see the male but clearly he had been there. Then I checked another nest, and in the morning I saw the resident male with a whole fish, waiting for his chick to show up. Later when I checked back, that chick was there…..so both of them are still present. Then I checked a nest of one of our later fledging chicks where the monitor had been unable to locate her… and she was still there….but too far away for a decent photo. Just perching on the nest edge and asking for some dinner, tho I couldn’t see the male. I also looked at the Arboretum nest both this morning and this afternoon….still one chick and dad are here. So , some ospreys are still here….I am sure there are many others too, but we must work harder for the sightings at this time of year. They don't remain on the nest, so this is when careful observations and some sleuthing earlier pays off. I have learned many of their favorite perches, and eating trees, and I have also been recording in my notes which directions the male has often come from with fish….so I have good clues about where to search for them. All the attention to detail earlier in the breeding season can make this time of year more fun and rewarding. I have seen a lot of practicing water starts this year. But I am also worn out and have driven over 13,000 miles since the beginning of April! So now I am not pushing myself to make rounds …..but just hanging out with some of my favorites. I still visit some of the later fledging nests to see how those chicks are doing. And I may have just found out about another new nest! Ha….so I am still working hard but letting myself linger and enjoy my friends a little more.

I am deeply grateful to those monitors who have hung in there and are still sending reports and finding some ospreys. I treasure you!





No comments:

Post a Comment