Thursday, April 2, 2020

Another one of my friends is back....

I am sitting at a nest watching another one of our middle aged successful banded males, back in his territory, eating a fish. This male is very special to me. He was injured five years ago, a fractured keel, and was in rehab at The Raptor Center for a month in the middle of the breeding season, leaving his mate with three chicks to care for and feed alone. She was very stressed during that time, chasing away other males, while providing for her chicks single handedly. I discussed the issues related to releasing this male with The Raptor Center, and our fear was that his parental instincts might have turned off during that month. I released this male back at his nest with a joyful heart as he flew off with such strength....and I was stunned when his mate attacked him as if he were an intruder! She was relentless in her attempt to keep him away from the chicks and the nest. But whenever she left to get food, he would sneak in with a fish and drop it in the nest for the chicks. He never gave up trying to feed his offspring. And when the female finally departed on her migration,leaving behind three fledged chicks, he stepped in and totally provided for them until each of them became independent. The following year, when he and his mate returned to their territory, it was if nothing had happened. They have happily and successfully raised chicks every year for the last four years. This is such a wonderful story of the long term success of a rehab effort, with so many people working to get this male back where he belonged, and my observations taught me much about unusual behaviors, in unusual circumstances. Quite simply put, I adore this male and his strong parental instincts, his devotion to his offspring. It’s such a vivid memory of returning him to his territory, releasing him, and now all these years later, here he is. I just love him and am so happy that I got to play a part in his recovery, and his life. After 26 years of doing this, (2020 is my 27th season) I know so much about the histories of these banded birds, all they have been thru, and to see them return again is an experience beyond words. He has finished his fish and is working on his nest now. May 2020 be another very successful year for him!

No comments:

Post a Comment