Friday, September 17, 2021

Sad day….

 Boy I was hoping to end this year on a high note….have been so enjoying watching the lingering ospreys. Yesterday I was watching a beautiful female chick holding a whole goldfish in her talons as she food begging hysterically because her Dad was nearby, also eating a goldfish. Guess she wanted HIS fish!

She was still on her nest today, with her Dad perched on a nearby cell tower. We had a big storm go thru last night, the winds were very strong at my house and I had a lot of fallen branches to
pick up today. Sadly, I also got an email about an osprey dead on the ground. I went to examine it…..broken wing. A handsome, juvenile male. This one was just days from migrating. How terribly upsetting to have him make it this far and die like this. I suspect he slammed into a building or some other structure, possibly during the storm. Each loss like this reminds me of how fragile life is and it puts a pall on the end of the osprey season. I will be out and about tomorrow trying to replace that sad memory in my mind with something more uplifting. We still have a few remaining ospreys and I hope I can spot them, hear them, soak up all their beauty.
Bless the spirit of this lovely male whose life was just too short. Sigh.


No comments:

Post a Comment