Sunday, July 14, 2024

After the storm….July 14, 2024

 I checked many nests today….300 miles and 42 nests checked this weekend! So far the worst of the storm damage was in my neck of the woods…..but I have many more nests to visit, I appreciate those volunteers that did check nests today! Very helpful.

We are seeing a common complaint /concern all over the metro this year. Many males are very scarce…..we think they might be dead and then they show up. What’s going on? I am not sure, but suspect that fishing is hard this year. Even the females who leave to get fish are sometimes gone quite a long time. There has been a lot of rain, which may cause high, muddy waters. Also, all the rain is washing a lot of lawn chemicals into the lakes, which can cause algae growth which can make fish hard to see. Fish may be going deeper if water temps are high. Just a lot of theories but because these behaviors and concerns are seen on so many nests I know it’s not just one males problem. Sadly I am seeing growing chick mortalities, and failed nests this year. Of course some ups and downs in reproductive success are normal. Ospreys are an indicator species, at the top of the aquatic food chain, so they reveal much about the health of our environment. That is why we feel this ongoing research is so valuable. We need to know if a bad year or two is a blip or a trend. 


I am driving many miles and working very hard to try to keep tabs on all nests and donations have been down this year. If anyone wishes to offer some financial support you can go to the Go Fund Me page , link below,  or send donations directly to me ( email me at osprey.mn@gmail.com for mailing address)


https://www.gofundme.com/f/d2zza-twin-cities-metro-osprey-watch?qid=f1a3aaf10fb689f051897c0a4ac3da70

No comments:

Post a Comment