Thursday, July 18, 2024

First fledge!

 We had our first successful fledge today! This was at the first nest to return this spring, the first pair to lay eggs and the first nest to hatch. So now the window opens for the others to follow. When I arrived this morning there were only two chicks on the nest and as I watched and listened, the monitor for this nest showed up too. So Debbie and I finally spotted the chick perched just above and behind my car, on a power pole. Then he flew to a more precarious spot, on a powerline that hung rather low over the road. There is a lot of construction going on near this area, so many large trucks were passing just below the chick. We held our breath, worrying that the chick might jump and get hit by a vehicle…..a few cars did see the chick and stopped to take photos. We waited and watched and he finally went to a higher perch on a power line and I stayed to watch over this fella until he finally rejoined his siblings on the nest. Whew! Thanks Debbie for holding your breath with me!





7

No comments:

Post a Comment