Thursday, April 2, 2015

15 nests...

Well today I visited 15 nests and found two occupied. These early days can be so fascinating. It's often a case of musical nests and I am always surprised by something! Today was no exception. I drove up to one nest that had two Ospreys on it, both banded, which is what I expected based upon past years. I put up the scope to identify them...the female was the same one who has been there for several years, but it was a new male. What was most surprising was that he was ten years old, but I had never seen him before! Or at least he was not a regular occupant of a nest I know about. I even read his silver USFWS band to be sure about his identity. I will have to search thru my records to see if I have spotted him before somewhere. This makes me wonder if there are nests we don't know about. I do hope people will report new nests to us so we can do as accurate a study as possible on this population of Ospreys. Now this does not mean he will remain at this nest. If the other male comes back, he can displace this male fairly easily. Yes, sometimes we see a fight, but if both regular resident Ospreys agree that this guy has got to go...they make it happen. We don't fully understand all the behavioral clues that cause a bird to move on, but I have seen it happen often. Having said that, she was allowing copulation to occur...some females won't if it's not their regular, preferred mate. On the other hand, she needs to get her eggs fertilized! He was perching right next to her, guarding her, and trying to copulate frequently. Interesting. Always something fun to observe!
A few other reports are trickling in about Osprey sightings! Here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment