Thursday, April 14, 2016

What a day.....

First of all I must send out a huge THANKS to Cathy Gagliardi for the generous donation I received today! Made me cry! You have no idea how much it means to me to know that what I am doing matters to people and that they are willing to show support like this! I am deeply grateful! 
Also a big THANKS to Barb Ankrum for all the time she has been devoting to trying to read those damn bands in the past week or so. It's often so frustrating, and requires so much patience and perseverance. Some Ospreys are cooperative, and some are not. I appreciate all you do Barb!
Today I visited 18 nests, 143 miles, trying to read bands and figure out what's going on. First of all, we have our first eggs!!!!! Chicks are on the way! I read a lot of bands, and some will require another shot at it. Oy. The sun and wind made it too challenging at those nests that I cant get very close to. I will have to try again on a cool, calm, cloudy day. The three "C"s. I found most nests occupied now, but a few are not....five nests had no Ospreys.
The best part of being out there during these early days is to witness the "skydance". As usual, I can hear the vocalization that goes with that behavior long before I can spot the male performing this courtship ritual. He is often very high in the sky and hard to spot. Doing the dipsy doodle dance, undulating in the sky, up and down, usually displaying a fish and singing his heart out...."look at me, look at this magnificent fish I am offering". Many times I can see the female on the nest watching him intently. But it always cracks me up when you look at the female and she has her back to the male and is not paying any attention. C'mon honey! This is impressive stuff! Well, at least, I am impressed! OK! So maybe he is doing it for ME! And some older males do the dramatic display, with no fish...."you know me, you know I can catch a fish for you".
ah, these days pass so quickly before we are into the ho hum incubation phase. Get out there and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment