Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Floating is not quite flying....

It is brutally hot out there today, and supposed to be worse tomorrow. On the way to get my car repaired I checked some nests....at one nest I watched in amazement as three chicks were jumping, flapping furiously and then taking turns laying down, ducking when it all was too chaotic. Of course I located the adults nearby, but there was no room for them on the nest today! One of these lovely juveniles was floating straight up at least four feet above the nest and flapping as he just hung in the air for LONG periods of time! He did this over and over, remaining up in the air for 2-3 minutes at a time! The nest is in a high spot and it was windy enough that at some times he even quit flapping and literally just floated in the air. He was even practicing tucking his feet up under him and really exploring the feeling of "loft"! But each time he made his way back onto the nest without really launching off the nest and steering his first flight in a loop. It was funny and awesome to observe. If it hadn't been so hot I would have stayed longer....perhaps by now he has made his maiden voyage! I never tire of watching these winged ones...I remain in awe of them.
It's amazing what these birds survive and today the birds I saw looked fine, better than me! Crops full, panting to release internal heat. They are designed for sitting in the sun. But we have several more days of brutal heat. Think good thoughts. And think good thoughts for Ceri on the DYFI nest who is struggling....we are sincerely hoping for a good outcome there.
http://www.dyfiospreyproject.com/…/e…/2016/07/20/ceri-update

No comments:

Post a Comment