Thursday, July 21, 2016

The tale of two families....

Just a quick update on the polygynous male and his two families...
believe it or not they have started fledging! I saw five of the six chicks today....one that had fledged did not show up for me today, but my nest monitor, Carol, saw him on Tuesday. Another one that has fledged was flying in and out of the nest. I hope the one that fledged earlier is OK....it's scorching hot today....mid nineties with a dew point of 75. I did my best to search for that chick, but it wore me out so after three hours I had to head for some AC.
The other nest had all three chicks present and one was going between the nest perch and the nest but I never actually saw him make his move so am not sure if he was flying, hopping or just walking out on the perch. It was always the same one on the perch. There I was trying to watch both nests at the same time, and take notes, and no matter where I looked, I was missing something! The VIB ( very important bird) never showed up! The male! Both females were gone at one point...one came back with a fish and the other came back all wet, but with no fish. I must say a large part of the success of this story is attributable to those females.
All chicks have survived to an advanced age, and that is somewhat unusual in a situation like this. So that is cause for celebration. As for any chicks, fledging can be a treacherous time and I certainly hope they all survive this next big hurdle in their development. I will keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment