Sunday, April 8, 2018

April 8....still waiting...

I know you are all waiting, waiting, waiting for some Ospreys to show up, some news about our beloved birds. Many Ospreys are back on their nests in Montana, New Jersey the UK....and here in Minnesota? Nope. I have heard one reliable report of an osprey sighting, but repeated visits to that area have found no Ospreys, no fresh whitewash on the nests. With most lakes still frozen, I suspect our Ospreys are having quite a party somewhere south of here.....Missouri? This is one of the latest osprey seasons in my memory, and I suspect it will mean that when the weather turns and lakes begin to open up, we will have a LOT of Ospreys returning all at once!  And their little biological clocks will urge them to lay eggs quickly!  So for those of us monitoring these nests, our best time for band reading will be short, intense. Oh boy. 
Thanks to all the volunteer monitors who have been busy checking empty nests.  
We always need help monitoring all these nests, so if you have a spotting scope and want to help us watch over our osprey population, please contact me! Osprey.mn@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment