Sunday, April 28, 2019

Too many ospreys!

Wow this early Osprey season has been a crazy one. We already have found 6 new nests, and we are plugging away at getting birds identified. Sadly, we are losing a lot of our banded birds....even ones that were not very old. The lovely article that was written by Jim Williams and published in the Star Tribune last week has stimulated a lot of interest in monitoring and new volunteers are being assigned nests. ( Be patient as I figure out what nests need monitors! ) We have found over the years that having good equipment, a spotting scope, does help a great deal in collecting the data we are seeking. If anyone is interested , please contact me. And a huge thanks to all the people who have reported new nests, and to the volunteers who have spotted new nesting activity while they are out and about! Many have developed a keen eye!
We are not sure why it seems like so many banded birds have not returned. Is the mortality rate going up for some reason? Some formerly active nests are now empty. I did find a banded bird today who we thought had not returned....and I was very happy to see him. I am still looking for our dear formerly single dad, without luck. A new unbanded male is working on that nest, tho I have not seen a female there yet. Many nests are incubating now but it also seems like a slow start to egg laying. As we drive around checking nests, many of my volunteers are reporting extra ospreys flying around. It was rather chaotic where I was monitoring today! Holy smokes, chasing, soaring groups of ospreys, chirping, and serious competition at some nests. I don’t get very far each day as I sit and watch all the activity! It also seems like an increase in eagle nests and eagles bothering ospreys. A number of birds have lost their nests and are having to rebuild as Cell companies, radio towers etc seem to have removed a lot of nests this year. I also have to send out a huge thanks to those who have made generous cash donations....wow, I am so touched by your support!
On a more specific level....I did swing by the Arboretum this week and found a lone female on the cam nest. I checked it several times and saw no male. Hmmmmm. I wonder if we have lost Z3. I will keep looking.
Anyway, spring has sprung, chicks are on the way, data is being collected, new volunteers are being plugged in....no rest for the weary! One of the volunteers that I connected with today said she thought she might need a Xanax!!!!! A special thanks to Barb for being my rock.....checking SO many nests, working so hard on bands, and being the one I can turn to and say....”can you run over and check this or that nest?” This truly takes a village of very special people!

No comments:

Post a Comment