Monday, June 1, 2020

Better days....

Well as you all know, this place I live in has been thru some very trying times in the last week. It is a pretty dark time and sometimes monitoring Osprey nests seems pointless when an innocent life is lost in such a horrific manner. But I still drag myself out to check nests. In the last week there has been a lot of hatching, which is a lovely thing to observe.....the males bringing those fish to the female for those first feedings. I am happy to report that I have seen FAR less headshaking and the black flies seem to be subsiding. Thankful that these new chicks will not be tormented.
Today I saw the first chicks for this year....finally big enough to stand up, at about ten days of age. I waited for 90 minutes for the male to bring a fish and when he did, it was a whopper! The female took it and at first there was just one chick standing but then up popped number two! The littlest one was onay able to stand up for short periods, but I could see his little beak reaching out for fish bits. The older chick was able to remain standing thru the entire feeding, until both seemed to collapse into a food coma and Momma just kept eating. Pop stood on the nest the entire time watching and helping to shade the wee ones. He snoozed a bit as well. Happy family. Still such a lift to see those little guys...almost made me forget what our community is going thru. Life does go on....sometimes it’s something this small that can keep me going, hoping for happier, more peaceful days to come. Justice for George. 
I also must send out a huge thanks to Ruth Rechtzigel for her generous donation to help keep this research going. I am so deeply touched by this support. A million thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment