Thursday, June 18, 2020

Drama...

Well, I had a drama filled day in ospreyland. First I need to say that as many know, the Arboretum cam is broken....the WiFi connection is the problem and apparently the repair was beyond their budget at this time. I did go out and check on them yesterday and both chicks were up and at em, bopping around, and both parents were there, so all is well there.
Today I got an email about a serious problem on a nest....photo below. You can see a hole in the bottom of a nest and some little legs hanging down. So I sprang into action....went home, got a bunch of sticks and wood chips and the property manager arranged for a lift machine to get me up there. One of my trusty monitors, who monitors this nest, Barb, met me and we went up, took out the chicks, filled the hole with sticks, then filled in around the sticks with woodchips, and then put grasses on top. I called the Raptor Center, we sent photos of the abrasions one of the chicks had on his leg. We discussed it and decided to put some neosporin on his leg and place him back in the nest. Mom and Dad flew over during the rescue, and mom was back on the nest before we drove away. Hopefully both little guys will be allright. A special thanks to Brett for noticing those little legs dangling, and to Paul for contacting me, and to Barb for helping me. I am so glad I could help. We will watch over this nest a little more than usual in the next few weeks.



No comments:

Post a Comment