Saturday, September 26, 2020

September 26....still here!


 September 26.....and we still have a few ospreys around. On Thursday I watched a chick at the second to last nest to fledge....she was eating a fish and as soon as she swallowed that final tail bite, she started food begging and in less than 2 minutes, Dad dropped another fish and she kept eating!!!! Ha ha, non stop eating at that nest!

I checked her again today and she is still here, food begging but I did not get to see Dad. Today I also drove up to check the very last nest to fledge in late August. On the way, I drove past a lake and saw an osprey perched in a dead tree eating a fish. I was on a busy hiway so couldn’t stop....so I proceeded to that nest I was headed to. I found the chick sitting quietly on that nest. Her siblings have both dispersed / disappeared. I wondered if it was her Dad that I drove past, so I went back and searched for a place to be able to view the Osprey. I pulled over on the side of the hiway and could see it was a juvenile! I knew I couldn’t stay there long before the police would tell me to move so I started searching for another place to observe. I found a small dead end road with some houses. I was acting suspicious, as I usually do, trying to see thru the trees and homes and a sweet young boy named Ivan came up on his bike and asked if I needed help. I explained what I was trying to do and he said I could park there because he knew the guy who lived there. Ivan left and came back shortly with a tomato for me! I found a hole thru the trees where I could see this bird quite well. A young female with a silver band. I was even able to read her band and know where she is from. She caught two bullheads as I watched! Ivan and I chatted about ospreys and I took some photos by holding my iPad up against my scope. Ivan asked why I didn t use my phone....cause I dont have a smart phone! Within a few minutes Ivan came back with a phone for me! He said he gets used phones and fixes them up to give away. He said it was unlocked and ready for me to set it up! He also gave me some more tomatoes! Then I proceeded to another nest where I found another chick sitting quietly, waiting for food to be delivered. 
What an interesting day! So good to see four chicks still here, and to see this young female successfully, and quickly, catching her own fish. Even these late fledges have now had a month of being fed by their dad and at least some have developed the needed skills to survive on their own. These Dads have done a great job. And meeting Ivan was a little added delight! Many thanks to Ivan, if he reads this, for his kindness and generosity!!!!
Winds are expected to shift on Monday and become quite strong from the north....so these may be my last visits with my friends. I will check a nest on the opposite side of town tomorrow. Oh how difficult this transition will be this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment