Monday, September 14, 2020

Still here!

 I was pleasantly surprised by how many Ospreys I found over the weekend! Quite a few young ones, and a few adult males....but it is amazing how hard it is to find those Dads. I know they are around or those chicks wouldn’t be hanging around food begging. But they do keep their distance. I remember a few years ago I spotted an Osprey fishing in a very small pond near my house. He got one and went to a tree to eat and I saw that he was banded. I read his band and learned that he was about 9 miles from his nest, where two loud chicks were hanging around demanding fish! Why would he be so far from the nest, and he had passed by many lakes that contained fish to get to this small pond. These males also need to prepare for the big trip ahead. I think they fly about to build some strength and perhaps, primarily, to be able to eat a fish in peace, the WHOLE fish without some one begging for it! I saw him there for several days in a row, but also caught him at his nest supplying the food the kids were demanding. So when I have trouble locating a Dad at a nest, I think of that male. They are around, but can be hard to locate. I did see several males yesterday and was able to find one chick because of her endless food begging, while perching right next to her Dad in a tree. 

The weather has been so nice, finally....not too hot, dew points low and suddenly it’s damn pleasant to be out there watching these birds. I am savoring as much time as I can with them......finally allowing myself to just hang out and watch and listen....instead of rushing off to the next nest. I sometimes wonder when some chicks have disappeared but a few are left at a nest, hanging out till the very end of the season....are these chicks the ones that we have to worry about....seemingly unable to feed themselves? Or are these the survivors....the ones who spent more time packing on those extra calories, watching Dad fish, building some skills. With a mortality rate in the first year of 50-70% according to some scientists, I have come to suspect that the ones who disappeared early are the ones who probably didnt make it. The more time they spend with their parents, the better. 
When I pulled up to one nest today, I just started laughing out loud....tho she had a semi empty crop, her belly was very fat! But this will serve her well on the trip ahead. 
I have seen some interesting dramas also.....there seem to be a lot of Bald Eagles around these days, and it amazes me when a young chick gives that distinct bald eagle alarm call and flies towards the eagles to defend this territory. This usually attracts the Dad also, if he is in the area, and seeing these young ones muster the courage to stand up to an eagle is inspiring. Just like an adult! Again, I think to myself, this is a tough chick who might be one of the survivors. During every day in the field, I always say my goodbyes.....not knowing if I will see them again....stay safe, be super careful, please find your way back to Minnesota to grace our skies again. To those banded ones I say, April 1, I hope to see you safely return to your nest. I will be waiting for you! 
I treasure every day I get to spend some time with them...and the predictions call for more northerly winds on Wednesday. Will that be the end? I hope not. In this troubled world, I fear that when the last Osprey flies south, my sanity may go with them! I know my love will.....


No comments:

Post a Comment