Tuesday, March 30, 2021

And another....

 Out and about again today. The male that was the first known return the last two years has not returned yet, tho others have shown up. They do not always show up in the same order and it may be that he hasnt survived. But its way too early to jump to any conclusions. I checked nine nests today and found one osprey....not the one I saw yesterday....but a lone female, waiting patiently on the corner of her damaged nest. What I can say with some certainty is that the early returns are always established, successful breeders. They know that the sooner they get back, the sooner they can lay eggs and the greater the chances of survival for their offspring. Its always interesting and there are always surprises. I cant afford to drive all over the study area in these early days, but I am checking some reports and making circles in areas where I don’t have experienced monitors....and just trying to incorporate nest checks in to my regular errands and commitments. Its always fun to round a corner, wondering what I will see, and spot an Osprey perched there waiting for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment