Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Polygyny

I posted earlier about a male that was going between two nests and two females. Both nests have hatched and I see that there are three chicks at both nests. I was hoping for some smaller broods, but this guy has gotten himself in real trouble! Now he has NINE mouths to feed, including his own. No wonder I never see him anymore...he must be fishing all the time and dropping fish here and there. I do have some serious concerns about those chicks. The females will probably have to do some of the fishing, and there is already evidence of that. This leaves the chicks vulnerable, when they are unattended. Will some of these chicks starve to death? Will he pull it off? The one other time this kind of situation occurred in my study area, one of the nests failed during the incubation phase, when that female had to leave the eggs too often to get food. However, this male has managed to provide for these two females well enough to get all these eggs hatched. I will keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment