Monday, April 17, 2017

EGGS!

Just some short updates....first of all we have our first eggs laid, so chicks are officially on the way! We also have the first woodticks, dang it. I am still trying to get around to first visits at some nests and still working hard on band reading, but still don't have my scope back yet. sigh. I am glad to see the the male at the Arb has been staying home and working hard on the nest....it's looking so cushy now. 
We are seeing extra Ospreys at so many nests these days, the population is growing and competition for good nest sites is increasing. I witnessed a pretty aggressive fight between two males trying to establish their place on a nest on a transmission tower...and they footed each other, locked together tumbling thru the tower. I gasped and said "oh god" out loud....thinking a rescue might be needed but they broke apart and both flew off alright. Hope they were really both OK.
But the more typical interloper just flies around, buzzing the nest without contact or serious aggression. I guess we need more nestpoles....so if any Boy Scouts want to get their Eagle Scout badge by putting up an osprey nesting platform, have them contact me!
Also a thanks to the person who sent the kind card and generous donation today....she indicated that no acknowledgement was necessary, but I must....because I am so grateful to those who show their support for what I am trying to do. I cannot tell you how much it means to me. a million thanks to my osprey loving friend and supporter!

No comments:

Post a Comment