Monday, April 3, 2017

More birds, more bands...

More and more Ospreys are beginning to arrive back on their nests here in the metro area now. Every day I receive new reports or I swing past a newly occupied nest. Our polygamous male has returned with one of his mates. So far I have seen no attempt to rebuild what was his primary nest last year, which collapsed in August last year after the chicks fledged. He has been hanging out on the secondary nest with one of his mates. I didn't have my drawings with me, but I suspect this is the primary mate (unbanded). I am busy training new volunteers, visiting nests together when possible, so I can answer questions. I am thrilled with the experienced volunteers, who become as valuable as gold to me this time of year! One sent a photo today of the band on the male on the first day he was back! Thanks Dani! Band reading early can be so important to this research, allowing us to document the nest swapping, mate swapping, extra pair copulation that we now know happens in these early days. To me, it's the busiest, and the most exciting time of year for behavioral observations.

No comments:

Post a Comment