Saturday, April 15, 2017

Happy Easter...

Today's update on the osprey drama is that an unbanded male is at Z3s "other" nest. We hope this settles things and Z3 can now focus his attention on his mate at the Arboretum.
I also stopped at another nest on my way home from work today and watched a long sky dance....a courtship ritual. The male was so high up in the sky that I could not locate him at first, but I know the vocalization that goes with a sky dance. I finally spotted him doing the dipsy doodle dance with a bright goldfish. This courtship dance went on for a long time as the female was food begging....get that fish to her! Seal the deal! When he finally did that, they struggled over the fish....he was not too keen on letting it go. But he did and she left with the fish. This is not the same male who was her mate last year but that banded male has not shown up, so I hope they work it out. I have been witnessing a lot of sky dances this week...always so fun to observe. I wonder how many people don't notice this interesting behavior, because it usually occurs so high up in the sky. If you are not listening for the sometimes subtle vocalization that goes with the behavior, you might miss it. Happy Easter....new life is beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment