Sunday, April 14, 2019

April 14, 2019....


I finally had a day that I could spend making some rounds and checking nests. I visited 20 nests. 11 had no ospreys on them, 4 had one bird, and five had a pair. I read three bands. Several other females were uncooperative as far as revealing their legs! Three males were older established males that I have known for quite a while, back on their nests. That may give you some idea of where we are regarding the return of our Osprey friends. In addition, one nest had been removed from a cell tower. Sigh. No sign of any rebuilding there.
I saw no birds at the Arboretum nest which has the cam.
It was a lovely cool, but bright day (hard for band reading.) It was so nice to be out there, watching, listening, enjoying my Osprey friends. Some lakes are still partially frozen...so don’t panic if your favorite Osprey is not back yet! We had a slow start last year, and it looks like we are experiencing the same thing this year. I expect we will see many more of our friends this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment