Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Sky dance

As I was coming home today, I saw a male Osprey doing a sky dance, so of course I checked the nearby nest and sure enough, a female was sitting there. He was trying to impress her! I am always impressed with this courtship display! I usually hear it before I actually spot the male, high in the sky, performing this mating ritual.
I saw this video (link below) and thought it might be a good teaching video for new volunteers have not yet witnessed this display. It still thrills me to see it!
I checked a handful of nests today, and saw one of my dear, favorite male Ospreys working diligently on his nest. I also checked out a new nest, new to me anyway, occupied by two unbanded ospreys! I still have another new one to check out on the other side of town soon. The population keeps booming. I am sure there are many nests that I don’t know about, so please do send in your reports of new nests, as we are doing our very best to keep track of them all!
Lots of reports are coming in from around the metro about ospreys back on their nests, and I deeply appreciate each and every one of them!
Hope everyone hunkers down during this spring blizzard they are predicting....5-15 inches of snow!


No comments:

Post a Comment